We are the first club in Finland ever to have coaches and age groups covering all ages from 3 to 18 year olds ! Right now, we have 5 age groups: U5 (5 and under), U8, U11, U14, 18.
- When and where do you train ?
The exact days and location in Tali depend if we are playing outdoors (from May 1 to Oct 22), or indoors (from October 23 to April 30):
- During the summer season, when we can play outside (May 1 to October 9):
When: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 17:00 - 18:00.
- During the winter season, (October 22 to April 30):
First training inside:
- For all ages (apart from U5): Sundays October 23, 19:00 - 20:00 at Tali Hall
- Autumn holiday: 14 October 2022 (Fri) – 21 October 2022 (Fri)
- Christmas holiday: 23 December 2022 (Fri) – 8 January 2023 (Sun)
- Winter holiday 17 February 2023 (Fri) – 25 February 2021 (Sat)
- As for summer holidays, we take July off: July 1 - August 1.
- What does my child need to try?
Just normal sports clothes and sneakers/running shoes. :) We will mentor and teach each children, from any level, size and capacity !
We love to welcome and teach children of any age from 3 to 18, any size, boys and girls. Rugby is a sports that finds a place for each individual with their strengths to bring what they have to the team!
You do not need to pay anything to try for the first month.
- How will my child learn rugby?
We are dedicated to have individual attention and small groups. We have a gradual coaching plan, based on fun, safety and mini games for our players.
Our coaches are from our senior teams, and our mens team has won the Finnish championship 8 times, several of our coachs have played for Finland, many have coached or worked at schools, they are mentored, as well as with all the background checks required for child related education.
We have coached at 12 schools in Helsinki (French-Finnish school for example), and created the after school rugby club at International School of Helsinki.
- How is contact introduced?
For now, full contact rugby with all rules is played in games only at U17 and U14level.
We have a coaching plan to introduce over 6 months, step by step, how to play rugby with tackles.
We start with touch rugby, then with holding, then with walking tackles, and until U14, we play a limited style of rugby (rugby X) so there are no rucks, no scrums.
In summary, we go gradually, following World Rugby guidelines, with small games (wrestling on the ground to get the ball, tackling but everyone on their knees, wrestling on the floor to keep the other player on the ground etc...).
- Trying rugby : when do I need to pay, what if I don't continue etc...
You can try for minimum a month, without paying, but you can ask for more if needed!
You only pay for the months you use.
Do not let money get in the way: we have grants for families who need it!
- I don't know much about rugby as a parent, but I want my child to try!
Perfect! Rugby is one of the top 10 sports globally with 500 million fans. It is famous for its values of respect, team spirit and fair play. With juniors, we play no contact “touch” rugby, where mixed teams of boys and girls can play and have fun and be safe.
We will teach your child everything and we can also explain in basic words what we are doing !
Rugby is a low cost sports compared to most in Finland: 30€ per month all in all in the end, compared to 50-60€ in average for sports in Helsinki.